Sunday, June 5, 2011

What Happened To Goodbye?

Title: What Happened To Goodbye?
Author: Sarah Dessen
Rating: 3/5
Summary: In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce. Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.
My Thoughts: This book was a big letdown for me. When I first read the summary, I thought it was original and I wanted to read the book ASAP. But after finishing this book, I felt like I just wasted my time!What Happened to Goodbye has no huge inciting incident or great source of tension. Instead the book quietly unfolds in layers: each time Dessen revisits a scene/sub-plot, she goes just a little bit further than the previous time ~ giving more depth and insight into her characters lives, relationships and what makes them the way they are. Overall, this was one of my least favorite Sarah Dessen books.

No comments:

Post a Comment