Friday, June 3, 2011

The Unwritten Rule

Title: The Unwritten Rule
Author: Elizabeth Scott
Rating: 3.5/5
SummaryHe's looking at me like—well, like he wants to look at me. 
Like he likes what he sees, and he's smiling and his eyes are so blue, even in the faint flow of the porch light they shine, and I nod dumbly, blindly, and then grope for the door handle, telling myself to look away and yet not able to do it.
"Sara," he says, softly, almost hesitantly, and my heart slam-bangs, beating hard, and this is what it's like to want someone you can't have. To want someone you shouldn't even be looking at.
My Thoughts: Aww, this one was too cute and poignant in a non-overt way. Typical chick lit, but fun to bunker down with on a rainy day. I especially enjoyed the writing style. There are even a few great, observant lines in here that I made sure to scribe into my quotes book. Yes I have one of those, and yes, I know it’s dorky. 

Moving on, Sarah is 17 and lives in the shadow of her beautiful, shallow best frienemy Brianna. Best friends since they were five, Sarah couldn't imagine life without Brianna, but lately, Sarah has been having some decidedly un-friendly thoughts about Ryan, Brianna's current boyfriend. Sarah has wanted Ryan before Brianna was willing to acknowledge his existence, but now, Brianna's got him, or does she? And did she ever? 

The Unwritten Rule makes for a cutesy love story, but more than anything, its a coming of age tale about the guises and dependency of friendship, standing your ground, and finding enough worth in yourself to be who you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment