Friday, October 7, 2011

Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3)

Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3)Title: Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Raing: 4/5
Summary: The thrilling conclusion to #1 bestselling Shiver trilogy from Maggie Stievater
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.
My Thoughts: FOREVER didn’t provide the satisfying conclusion for which I had hoped. Like in Linger, the voices of the different narrators were often not distinct, and I sometimes found myself checking the chapter headings to identify the speaker. The prose in this installment also felt too intentional: I often felt like passages were written for the mere beauty of the words, not because they represented a character’s voice well. While I loved Isabel and Cole, they outshined Sam and Grace in this book, much to the detriment of the two main characters. Despite the hardships their relationship undergoes, the cautious nature in which Sam and Grace treated each other felt artificially strained. Because of this, I never reconnected to their love story. Some parts of the resolution also felt too convenient, and the werewolf pathology remained unclear. Finally, while I did appreciate aspects of the open ending, some things felt just as unresolved as they were at the end of the two previous books.

1 comment:

  1. I also have Shiver and Linger sitting on my shelf and haven't read them yet. Not because I haven't wanted to - there is just always something else that needs to be read first. I am going to have to carve out some time soon to read this series! Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete