Friday, March 9, 2012

The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Title: The Catastrophic History of You and Me
Author: Jess Rothenberg 

Rating: 3.5/5
SummaryDying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. 

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. 

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. 

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?

My Thoughts: Brie's heart broke in half the minute her boyfriend said he didn't love her. And I don't mean that figuratively, it literally snapped in two. Death by heartbreak. Could your life end anymore tragically? It probably could, but the whole concept of death by heartbreak was intriguing and original. 
Brie dies after her boyfriends breaks up with her, and is then free to roam the earth, along with the other countless dead souls. While roaming, Brie meets a guy named Patrick. He's from the eighties(well, he died in the eighties) and he helps her deal with her death. He helps her get revenge on the boy who broke her heart and watches as Brie discovers horrible things about the people in her life. 
Oh gosh, Patrick. I LOVED HIM.  With his leather pilot jacket and smooth 80's charm, he claimed territory in my heart almost instantly. I don't care if some of his lines were totally corny, he's the type of character who can hold them with dignity and woo the pants off you. His 'cheesy' nicknames for Brie (and I mean this in the Cheescake, Chedster, Cheeto kind of 'cheesy') could have become annoying, but that boy made every one of them endearing. 
The writing is brilliant, and if I didn't know this was a first time author I'd swear she'd been writing for years. The characters couldn't get more believable and lovable. I seriously liked every character--even the dog! I hated the boyfriend, Jacob, and the best friend, Sadie for a while, but soon I got over it and I think I can honestly say that I did enjoy their characters. 
I loved how each chapter is headed by a lyric/title of a very good song. Reminds me of another awesome novel, Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway!. Kudos! 
This novel is hilarious, beautiful, heartbreaking and healing. I loved it so much, I think I may go read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment