Saturday, December 24, 2011

Obsidian

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Rating: 4.3/5
SummaryStarting over sucks. 

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. 

And then he opened his mouth. 

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me. 

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don’t kill him first, that is.

My Thoughts: Obsidian is a novel by Jennifer L. Armentrout that I'd been highly anticipating since it's blurb was revealed. I was immediately pulled in by Obsidian's premise, promises of a Young Adult novel filled with something overwhelmingly extraterrestrial. Protagonist Katy was someone I could easily love and identify with. You see, Katy is a book blogger who runs her own little space called "Katy'z Krazy Obsession". It was disheartening, however, to see that she didn't think all that highly of herself, especially in concern to her adoration for reading and reviewing novels, labeling herself as a book crazed nerd. Despite that, though, I found that she was a character that many readers would find themselves easily connecting with, I know I did. Daemon, on the other hand, was undeniably handsome, especially with those piercing emerald eyes. Despite his Greek god looks, Daemon was very provocative, which I loved, and presented a hot and cold attitude, which I didn't love. In addition, I also found myself connecting greatly with Dee, Daemon's twin sister. She was a breath of fresh air, bubbly, outgoing and respectful.
I was overjoyed to find that my favorite things about her writing carried over, and yet the characters and plot were completely different. Armentrout puts a new twist on the alien-next-door storyline, which was refreshing after this year's influx of vampires, angels and wolves. I love the believable characters (even the non-realistic ones), the fast pace, and the fresh, contemporary voice. I also enjoyed that her hottie male character is practically perfect physically, but his personality is flawed. It makes it so much more fun to empathize with Katy as she wrestles with her emotions regarding him.


Let's cut to the chase: I am declaring myself a die-hard fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout. If you favor YA paranormal romance, you will want to read her stuff. All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment