Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves #1)

Title: Raised by Wolves (Raised by Wolves #1)
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Rating: 3.8/5
Summary: Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two. 

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.
But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?

My Thoughts: Raised By Wolves is an interesting book written from the point of view of fifteen year old Bryn, who was literally raised by wolves. The premise intrigued me. I've always liked things like The Jungle Book and such, I like seeing how being raised by a different species (werewolves in this case) would affect the behavior and attitude of a human. All of the pack detail in this book have been studied carefully, and you can tell Jennifer Lynn Barnes has done her research. I've always been intrigued by pack behavior  and that is this something this book definitely goes into depth on. One thing I wasn't particularly fond about in the whole pack mentality was their bonds with each other. How the wolves claimed a person, how one person was someone else's. Extreme possessiveness is not something I'm particularly fond of , I'm afraid. And I don't really thing Chase and Bryn's relationship was romantic in any way, because it was based on a need, and they didn't exactly fall in love or anything. They needed each other because they could relate to each other through their experience with the Rabid.
I do wish that Barnes explored Chase and Bryn's potential relationship more in this book, as a sucker for YA romance, I was left with nothing to obsess over. The plot flowed well and the writing was good, although nothing really took me by surprise. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend you read it if you like werewolves (like me!) or just feel like you want to read a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment