Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)

Title: Across the Universe  (Across the Universe #1)
Author: Beth Revis
Rating: 4/5
SummarySeventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone - one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship - tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.
My Thoughts: I enjoyed the book much more than I thought. Even if there are explanations which I found too pseudo-scientific for my taste and not convincing at all, and most of the action didn’t really kick until way past half of the book, I’m looking forward to reading the second book. I just hope this year 2011 will be enough full of good books, so that I would get distracted from the waiting. I’m not a patient person :P I really expected a romance with a side plot of mystery instead of a mystery with a smidgen of romance. But, it worked, it entertained and had me doing the whole guessing game of “who-done-it” even though I figured it out before the time was right. Then there were the whole similarities between this book and Synder’s INSIDE OUT. Colony ship turns unknowing dystopian world. Here comes a teenager to the rescue!!! Yet, even with the concept similar to the OUT books, this one was highly original and spoke reality to me. Something like this could happen, all you have to do is feed people the wrong information. Beth Revis did a wonderful job and I look forward to reading more from the series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment